Volunteers give wonderful support to our staff and patients. They help improve the safety, health and wellbeing of people living in Melbourne’s eastern, outer eastern and Yarra Ranges communities – and they make our health service better, now and in the future.
For information regarding our current volunteer vacancies, please contact Volunteer Services:
Ph: (03) 9895 4658
Frequently Asked Questions
Volunteering with Eastern Health is a fantastic way of making a real difference in your community. We value our volunteers and invest time in training, supporting and guiding each one.
We expect our volunteers to commit to a minimum of 12 months, as the time and resources required for recruiting and training are not suited to short term involvement, and the positive outcomes for volunteers are more likely with greater time and commitment.
To commence the process you will be required to:
• Be over 18 years of age
• Complete an application form
• Attend an interview
• Undergo a police check
• Complete a statutory declaration
• Provide two referees
• Complete volunteer orientation, hand hygiene, occupational health and safety and equal employment training prior to commencement and participate in ongoing training (when required)
• Where necessary, undertake department training prior to commencement
To find out more about becoming a volunteer with Eastern Health, please call our volunteer team on 03 9895 4658 or email email@example.com.
Angliss Hospital CRC - Phase 3 Pulmonary and Cardiac Groups
Assist with classes as instructed by the Physiotherapist ie. supervise set up/pack up of room, adjust exercise equipment, refer clients back to physiotherapy staff for review or guidance as required.
Box Hill Dietetics
Provide minimum assistance, such as opening containers, reducing clutter and presenting one course at a time, buttering bread, placing cutlery in the patient’s hand for each mouthful.
Drivers (Peter James Centre and Yarra Ranges Health)
To transport patients from home to hospital and back for outpatients appointments.
When/if necessary and time permitting, escort transport patients to the relevant department.
To support centre based therapy by providing transport for clients in the Eastern Region.
To enable client access to Yarra Ranges Health Community Rehabilitation Program.
Maroondah Hospital Kiosk Assistants
To help in the kiosk with food preparation and serving customers.
Applicants should have a friendly manner, reliability, high standard of cleanliness, ability to work as part of a team, good spoken English and money handling skills.
Northside Residential Aged Care Activities Support (Peter James Centre)
Do you play a musical instrument? This aged care facilities requires musicians to come and play for the residents and perhaps assist the Activities Co-ordinator with various activities, including art/craft planning and running, cooking classes and sing-a-longs.
Applicants require a friendly disposition, reliability, punctuality, confidentiality and the ability to work well with the elderly.
Peter James Centre (Burwood) and Wantirna Health Falls Prevention and Client Wellbeing Program
Support the CNC Gerontology/Project Officer in a program which is based on an existing program called Hospital Elder Life Program (Help). The modified HELP program will deliver targeted interventions to hospitalised elderly patients focusing on falls prevention.
This program aims to reduce the risk of falls and serious injury during a patient’s stay in hospital. Program team members, including volunteers, may visit patients several times a day to implement set programs focusing on reducing factors that may lead to a fall and improving their hospital experience.
Wantirna Health Palliative Care
To provide non-clinical assitance for patients within the palliative care unit. This could include any of the following:
- Escort patients to daily activities, ie: group cooking, exercise and music sessions.
- Assisting Allied Health staff members with activities as directed.
- Taking around a trolley with activities.
- Purchasing newspapers at patient request.
- Setting patients up for their meals by unwrapping packaging and ensuring utensils are within reach.
- Biography writing.
- Offering books and magazines from library.
- Offering CD players, CD’s, DVD players and DVD’s.
Since 1956, Eastern Health has been supported by Auxiliaries, who play an integral role in the operation of its hospitals. Eastern Health's Auxiliaries comprise of loyal and dedicated volunteers who, together, make a significant contribution to the provision of healthcare to community members in the eastern suburbs and surrounding areas. For nearly 60 years Eastern Health's Auxiliaries have continued a tradition of fundraising through varied activities, provided by many hours of service from volunteer members, both within and outside of its hospitals.
Eastern Health is very fortunate to have the support of three Auxiliaries. Auxiliary members give vital support to our patients, their families and our staff by providing a friendly smile or a helping hand as needed. They also raise valuable funds through activities such as operating hospital kiosks, managing opportunity shops, and many other diverse fundraising activities.
Since 1956, Eastern Health's hospital and health care system has strengthened and broadened, part of this expansion can be attributed to the thousands of dollars and hours of service the Auxiliaries provide each year. Eastern Health considers its Auxiliary members to be important members of its team and each of the Auxiliaries contribution is highly valued.
Our Auxiliaries are...
- Angliss Hospital Ferntree Gully – Opportunity Shop, Station St, Ferntree Gully
- Maroondah Hospital Kiosk, Ground floor near the entrances
- Upper Ferntree Gully / Angliss Hospital
- About us
- Eastern Health 2022
- Board of Directors
- Executive Team
- Consumer, Carer & Community Participation
- Eastern Health Foundation
- My Health Record
- Privacy at Eastern Health
- Freedom of Information
- Quality and Safety
- Policies and Guidelines
- A–Z Service Directory
- Mental Health Services
- Child & Youth Mental Health Service (CYMHS)
- Adult Mental Health
- Central East Mental Health Services
- Outer East Mental Health Service
- Triage And Emergency Department Response Service
- Families where a Parent has a Mental Illness (FaPMI)
- Dual Diagnosis
- Useful Links
- Aged Persons Mental Health Services (APMHS)
- Consultation-Liaison (CL) Psychiatry
- Eastern Mental Health Service Coordination Alliance
- Families where a Parent has a Mental Illness (FaPMI)
- Ambulatory & Community Services
- Continuing Care
- Maternity Services
- I am pregnant
- First 14 Weeks
- 14 to 28 Weeks
- 28 Weeks to Birth
- I have given birth
- Maternity Resources for GPs
- I am pregnant
- Allied Health Services
- Clinical and Health Psychology
- Exercise Physiology
- Interpreting Services
- Occupational therapy
- Physiotherapy - Continence and Women’s Health
- Physiotherapy – Inpatient Services
- Social work
- Speech pathology
- Spiritual care
- Language Services
- Imaging Services
- Alcohol and Drug Treatment
- Patients and Visitors
- Angliss Hospital
- Box Hill Hospital
- Healesville Hospital and Yarra Valley Health
- Maroondah Hospital
- Peter James Centre
- Turning Point
- Wantirna Health
- Yarra Ranges Health
- Research & Ethics
- Health Professionals
- Current Vacancies
- Why Work with us?
- Medical Recruitment
- Graduate Nurses & Midwives
- Nursing & Midwifery
- Allied Health
- Medical Training & Education
- Work Experience Program for Secondary School Students
- Contact us